The Argentine star recorded a goal and one spectacular assist as Inter Miami beat the Portland Timbers 2-0 on home soil
Lionel Messi scored the opener and set up Germán Berterame for the second as Inter Miami celebrated their first victory at Nu Stadium by beating the Portland Timbers 2-0 on Sunday.
Having won eight of their first 14 games of the season, Inter Miami sit second in the Eastern Conference table, two points behind leaders Nashville, who beat Los Angeles FC 3-2 on the same night.
The hosts were the better team throughout the first half, taking the lead just after the half-an-hour mark, with Telasco Segovia producing a moment of magic by teeing up Messi with a spectacular backheel for the goal that broke the deadlock.
Inter Miami doubled their lead before the break, with the Argentina international dribbling past two opponents before finding Berterame, who netted for a second straight game.
An in-form Messi has recorded five goals and as many assists in the last four games, with his goal against Portland being the 910th of career.
“To be honest, it was a huge sacrifice because we were absolutely exhausted, having just come through a few very tough weeks on the road,” said Inter Miami coach Guillermo Hoyos. “This isn’t an excuse, it’s the plain truth, and they showed it. They always show it, and I have to congratulate the whole squad, everyone involved, all of us who make up the day-to-day running of this.”
⚽ ➕ 🅰️ = #IconOfTheMatch @RoyalCaribbean 🏆 pic.twitter.com/nsy64FYNby
Suggested Articles
— Inter Miami CF (@InterMiamiCF) May 18, 2026
Messi hits top form ahead of World Cup
No team have scored more than Inter Miami’s 33 goals so far this season, with Messi having already bagged 12 goals and five assists in 13 matches.
Meanwhile, Lionel Scaloni has cleared all doubts by naming the former Barcelona forward among the 55 players in his initial World Cup squad.
Having led Argentina all the way to glory back in 2022, Messi could be heading for his sixth World Cup – which is also expected to be his last before retiring from international football.
“I’ll do everything I can to make sure he’s there,” Scaloni told ESPN in March. “I believe that, for the sake of football, he has to be there. It’s not me who decides. It’s up to him, his state of mind, his physical condition. It’s difficult because it is not just the Argentinians who want to see him; everyone wants to see him.
“I want him to be there. It’s up to him to decide. He’s earned the right to make that decision with peace of mind. We’re in no rush about it. We know whatever he decides will be best for the team and for him. We hope he will be there.”





